Monday, November 19, 2012

Acting Squadron Leader Chesley Gordon Peterson, D.F.C. - No. 71 (Eagle) Squadron

Distinguished Service Order Citation: “This officer has completed a large number of sorties over enemy-occupied territory. He has at all times displayed high qualities of leadership and courage which have contributed materially to the fine fighting efficiency of his squadron. During the operations over Dieppe, Squadron Leader Peterson destroyed a Junkers 88, bringing his victories to 6. His devotion to duty has been outstanding.” Peterson spoke to reporters after his March 10, 1943 investiture by King George at Buckingham Palace. "I got the gong for my part in the Dieppe raid. I went in three times and ended up in the drink, coming back to England by boat."

2 comments:

  1. Chesley was my great uncle and I loved listening to his stories. What rich history we have. Thanks for posting this information.

    ReplyDelete